I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like granola bars, they are a quick and delicious snack. The problem with most purchased granola bars is that they are usually filled with sugar and not much fibre or protein. This recipe I modified from a website my friend showed me called No Meat Athlete, check it out for some other great ideas for making these granola bars your own.
These bars are packed with protein and low in sugar. They are really dense but you can’t even taste the beans in them. I recommend you try them and jazz up the recipe according to your likes.
I sprinkled hemp and chia seeds over the granola bars because I forgot to mix them it, it was tasty this way or you could just add both into the dry mix.
Remember when you are buying granola bars look for ones that have less than 8g of sugar and 4g of fibre or more.
CHOCOLATE PROTEIN BARS
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1 ripe banana, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 cups oats
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cups chocolate chips
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
some hemp and chia seeds
1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a food processor puree the black beans, adding the banana, peanut butter, honey, and vanilla extract
3. Transfer the bean mixture into a large bowl and add in the dry ingredients (oats, cinnamon, salt, cocoa powder, whole wheat flour, chocolate chips and coconut), the mixture was thick
4. Press the granola bars into a greased 9×13′ pan
5. Sprinkle chia and hemp seeds over the granola bars
6. Bake for 20min
7. While the bars are baking melt chocolate in a double boiler
8. When the bars are finished baking pour melted chocolate over top and spread evenly
9. Let cool and cut into 12 pieces
Enjoy as a pre or post workout snack or just as a snack on their own