I made this recipe a few weeks ago for a dinner party I went to and it was delicious! The recipe is adapted from Sue Shepherd’s Low FODMAP Diet book.
I love the zucchini and carrots I used in this recipe because they help to make it stay more moist and the herbed butter is a great addition.
1 cup All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend (I used the one from Costco with buckwheat and rice)
1 1/4 cups Potato Flour
1/2 cup Spelt Flour (use soy flour if you need it to be gluten free)
1 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 small zucchini, grated and drained in paper towel
1 carrot, grated
1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
3/4 cup plus 2TBSP soy milk, if you don’t need it to be lactose free you can use regular milk
1.5 Tbsp olive oil
1.5 Tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Olive oil for drizzling
1. Preheat oven to 400F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or with oil
2. Sift the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper into a mixing bowl, add the cornmeal, zucchini, salt and pepper, carrot and pumpkin seeds.
3. Warm the soy milk with olive oil
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the warmed milk and oil mixture
5. Bring the dough together and knead with cornstarch until smooth. Form into 2 balls. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
6. Bake 20-25min
I like it better served warm with herbed butter or toasted the next day.
For the Herbed butter: Mix together salted butter with chopped herbs (I used basil but parsley or any other fresh herb would work too).
Note: make sure you drain the zucchini, I missed this step the second time I made it and the bread was too moist and didn’t properly bake in the middle