For his birthday dessert, my fiancee asked for a pie, and as you may already know pies are NOT my forte, but alas I trudged ahead because birthday boys get their way.
To add to my bravery I also thought I would trial a new pecan pie recipe from Joy of Baking.
I forgot to preplan my ingredients and I thought I had enough in my pantry but when I got home from getting all of the other ingredients I needed I measured the pecans and I only had 1/2 a cup (recipe calls for 1.5 cups) (Fail!). Luckily I had a full bag of hazelnuts that I got at my last Costco trip and well who doesn’t love chocolate and hazelnuts?
So here is the recipe for my chocolate nut pie adapted from the Joy of Baking Chocolate Pecan Pie. My pie turned out delicious and I think the hazelnuts were an even better touch 🙂
I hope you enjoy it!
Short Crust Pastry:
1 1/4 cups Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, chilled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1/8 – 1/4 cup ice water
Chocolate Nut Filling:
1/2 cup whole pecan halves
1 cup hazelnuts
1/2 bar of Lindt 85% Dark Chocolate
1 cup corn syrup (I think light would be best but I used golden syrup and it was fine just a bit sweeter)
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp Canola Oil
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp salt
Short Crust Pastry:
- Place the flour, sugar and salt into a food processor and process just until combined
- Add the butter and process until it looks like coarse meal (15 seconds), add the water slowly (1/8 cup first) and process until the dough holds together when pinched adding little bits of water as needed, I ended up using just less than the full 1/4 cup
- Wrap in a ball in saran wrap and place in the fridge for about 30min to 1hr
- When chilled roll out onto a lightly floured board and transfer into a 9inch pie plate, fold the crust in around itself (not around the pie plate) and make a pretty design around the boarder if you wish (I thought it was good enough I was making a pie so there was no fancy crust edge on mine)
- Place back into fridge while you make the filling
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Toast the pecans and the hazelnuts, peal the skin off the hazelnuts and chop them, leave the pecans whole
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and set aside to cool
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs then whisk in the corn syrup, sugar, oil, vanilla extract and oil
- Slowly stream in the melted chocolate whisking together
- Fill the pie crust with the pecans and hazelnuts trying to place the pecans on top of the hazelnuts, pour the chocolate filling over the nuts
- Bake on the bottom third of the oven for 50-60min or until the filling has puffed but is still wobbly when shaken.
- Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and enjoy!